Tuesday, May 19, 2009

My new plate

One of our favorite dinner plates that I made back in college broke recently. I used to love to throw plates back in college and it was part of a class called Design and Production. We had to make a place setting service for 8 of dinner, lunch and dessert plates, bowls, tumblers and mugs. It definitely gave us a taste of life as a production potter. And that taste was all I needed to figure out I was not interested in making the exact same thing over and over again. The nice part was getting a full set of dishes after the class was over. I only kept a few of the pieces, selling and giving away most of it. For whatever reason I only ended up keeping two dinner plates.
So when it cracked in half, I knew I'd have to make a replacement. This presented a new and exciting challenge. I had never made a dinner plate off the wheel until this one. It didn't warp and I love seeing the little blue birds dance around the border. Although the mossy glaze didn't quite behave like I would have liked, the blue center is perfect.Also in that firing were many of my glaze tests. Here is a portrait shot of my new family of glaze colors. I can hardly wait to see them in action.

4 comments:

shoshonasnow said...

15 glazes? Crazy woman!
p.s I have one of your plates :) I don't think it's a d&p plate, I think it was an early prototype for your thesis. I think I only have one tumbler left of my set. My place setting we had to donate was stolen so I "lent" them my last full set never got it back :(

jen jeglinski said...

I know, I have a glaze problem. But what can I do? 10 of those are already in my usual lineup. Three are definite additions and two others are questionable. Still looking for the exact right colors, ya know?

I thought you had one of my thesis prototypes, glad you still do. I was thinking of you when I was writing this since I know you either sold off most of it. Bummer that you never got your last set back. :(

Unknown said...

Hi! I awarded you the Lovely Blog Award! Look at my blog to see it!

jen jeglinski said...

Thanks Sunshine! It is much appreciated.