Saturday, May 9, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

For all the moms out there, I'm posting some of my favorite flowers that have popped up in our garden this spring. And although I'm not actually spending the day with my mom this year, it doesn't mean that she's not in my thoughts... far from it.
Any time I think of my influences on my life and my art in general, both she and my grandmother top the list. Both are oil painters and were always very supportive of my interests in the arts and crafts. My mom, other than painting is extremely crafty with sewing, cooking, and decorating, amongst other things. She would regularly bring me to the local art supply store and set me up with beads or fabrics or markers or paints and never questioned what on earth I thought I was going to make or why I needed to do so.
When I discovered in college that I wanted to focus on ceramics, I was met by both my mom and my dad with excitement and complete support, something that surprises me to this day. To say I was encouraged is an understatement. This is truly the best gift a daughter could ever ask for, and today on Mom's Day, I'm feeling lucky to have such an accepting and creative mom who allowed me to grow and bloom. Thanks mom, you are the best!!And to all the other moms out there, enjoy your well deserved day.

No comments: