Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Acceptance

I've been struggling with my schedule and overall energy level lately specifically when it comes to finding the time to fit in my pottery. I think I'm finally over feeling guilty that I don't get to the studio every day or even sometimes for days on end. And when the weekends have rolled around, I'm beginning to let go of the expectation that I will spend a solid 8 hour day working. It's times like these I have to remind myself that I work all day four days a week and that can often take a lot out of me. Add quitting coffee and making some other lifestyle changes.
So instead of feeling overwhelmed each time I enter my creative space to see pots that need glazing, others that need to be photographed, and much more smaller projects that are equally time consuming, I am going to take a deep breath and just work at a slower and much more reasonable pace. If I can only fill my kiln and fire every few months instead of planning on a kiln a month (my kiln is huge!) then so be it. I'm rediscovering the joy of the creative process and seeing I was still in the mindset of pushing through tons of work like I had to in college. It never was a method that particularly appealed to me, and it took years of pushing myself at an unreasonable pace at times to learn this. Starting this spring, I am going to pay more attention to my other interests such as gardening, yoga and traveling while trying to strike a healthy balance of day job work, making pottery, and enjoying more leisure time. Luckily I crossed off taking photos from my list and will be filling my etsy shop back up. And it seems as though my coffee addiction is wearing off a bit with the help of tea and chocolate.

No comments: